Slashing of Recreational Kreef Quota

jb2

Sealiner
ThefishinMagician wrote:
Jb... on one of the other websites.. there is talk of the Dept. of Sports and Recreation now taking DAFF to task... thus the delay in getting it gazetted...
Have you heard anything along these lines?

Hi

I haven't heard anything about that. Could you tell me where that is? Is at the ultimate site for fishing or one more related to boats?

Marthin

Sealiner
JB one of our members this morning spoke to some DAFF gents, and they said the kreef rules and regs are still the same as last year as nothing has been gazetted?

jb2

Sealiner
Marthin wrote:
JB one of our members this morning spoke to some DAFF gents, and they said the kreef rules and regs are still the same as last year as nothing has been gazetted?

Hi Marthin

That could work but wasn't there something in last year's regs that related it only to the 2012/ 2013 season?

I can't remember.

jb2

Sealiner
Marthin wrote:

Hi Marthin

I am not sure what to make of it here is the link to my posting about last year's season

http://www.sealine.co.za/view_topic.php?id=78273&forum_id=1&highlight=Kreef+2012+season

It is specific to last year's dates.

jb2

Sealiner
ThefishinMagician wrote:
Anybody check that other boat site... talk now of the season remaining as it was...

Hi Fishin

I have absolutely no idea what they are on about.

The boat site says that the Fisheries media person (Carol Moses) says that the dates will be the same as last year.

But how is that possible? Last year's gazette is date specific.

Why did they make the media announcement that they will halve the recreational season?

So to sum up the message from Fisheries: "The season will be half of last year but the same as last year".

There is a possibility that someone has misread the media release. It starts off by saying that the daily bag limit "Will remain unchanged".

thats what I don't get. Last year it was gazetted for those dates a the year/season, thus it has no bearing on this year's season.

As we stand all have is the original media statement and rumours, one of which is saying that the Dept. of Sports and Recreation throwing their hat in the pile opposing the changes for the recreational fishermen.

What makes me think that there may be some truth to the matter is the fact that to date, the new season has not yet been gazetted. (trouble in Paradise? Gravy train going off the rails?) If the season was to start today as per the original media release from Moses' office, surely it would have been gazetted already?

In the event that we do go catch today, would they be legal based purely on a media release?

jb2

Sealiner
ThefishinMagician wrote:
thats what I don't get. Last year it was gazetted for those dates a the year/season, thus it has no bearing on this year's season.

As we stand all have is the original media statement and rumours, one of which is saying that the Dept. of Sports and Recreation throwing their hat in the pile opposing the changes for the recreational fishermen.

What makes me think that there may be some truth to the matter is the fact that to date, the new season has not yet been gazetted. (trouble in Paradise? Gravy train going off the rails?) If the season was to start today as per the original media release from Moses' office, surely it would have been gazetted already?

In the event that we do go catch today, would they be legal based purely on a media release?

Hi Fishin

It is also possible that the commercial guys have tapped Fisheries on the shoulder and asked them to politely reconsider the decision to cut the trap boats but not to cut the hoop/ring boats.

I have worked with some of the big companies. That tap on the shoulder is something special. It sort of means that we will assemble a team of attorneys and advocates that would make the entire orc and goblin hordes of Mordor look like a hobbit picnic.

jb2

Sealiner
jb2 wrote:
ThefishinMagician wrote:

Hi Fishin

It is also possible that the commercial guys have tapped Fisheries on the shoulder and asked them to politely reconsider the decision to cut the trap boats but not to cut the hoop/ring boats.

I have worked with some of the big companies. That tap on the shoulder is something special. It sort of means that we will assemble a team of attorneys and advocates that would make the entire orc and goblin hordes of Mordor look like a hobbit picnic.

Sorry!

Having said that, I have not heard any rumours of a challenge nor is it easy to challenge a TAC determination.

It is just that the offshore kreef was told that it would be cut by 12% and the inshore won't be cut.

It is not clear why the cut should not be spread equally between the trap boats and the hoop boats.

so there is still hope for us mere 4 a day for 26 day season mortals.
We just need somebody big enough to do the shoulder tapping.. I am hoping that the rumour of the Dept. of Sports and Recreation filling that position is true.

The new quota allocation really seems to be the path way to destruction. Ironically it was instituted based on the idea of trying to revive the resource but, when you increase the allocation to the very party suspected of overfishing in the first place, it makes you wonder how serious are they about reviving the resource.

First it was the abalone and now the cray seems to be going the same way.

Why not rather increase the recreational quota, and make it legal to sell your catch, because in all honesty, that is what is happening. Why not just throw the interim relief and the recreational quotas together and monitor the catch better ? Poachers are going to poach. whether there is a quota allocation of 100 T or 1000T... there will always be those that take more than what is allowed.

By changing the numbers we are merely just fooling ourselves. We need better policing and stricter enforcement of laws.

jb2

Sealiner
ThefishinMagician wrote:
We just need somebody big enough to do the shoulder tapping.. I am hoping that the rumour of the Dept. of Sports and Recreation filling that position is true.

The new quota allocation really seems to be the path way to destruction. Ironically it was instituted based on the idea of trying to revive the resource but, when you increase the allocation to the very party suspected of overfishing in the first place, it makes you wonder how serious are they about reviving the resource.

Why not rather increase the recreational quota, and make it legal to sell your catch, because in all honesty, that is what is happening. Why not just throw the interim relief and the recreational quotas together and monitor the catch better ? Poachers are going to poach. whether there is a quota allocation of 100 T or 1000T... there will always be those that take more than what is allowed.

By changing the numbers we are merely just fooling ourselves. We need better policing and stricter enforcement of laws.

Hi Fishin

Ironically that is more or less what happned. They did allow people to sell with a post office permit and they allowed a huge number of people into the sector.

The TAC cut means that the overall pie is smaller. There is less kreef allowed to come out of the water.

It is a bit of a bunfight as to who has to shoulder the bulk of the cuts.

I thought as much, but now they have their own season and TAC. In doing so, the sector from which they spawned is now being throttled.

As it currently stands with my Std 4 maths, the 100 T cut from the recreational sector equates to almost 38% of TAC Reduction. I some how find that rather odd, that the recreation sector now only occupies 3.8% of the TAC.(Last year we had 7.5% of the TAC) Although the commercial sector also saw a cut it was only (Again Std 4 maths) 184 Tonnes. So for a sector whose catch is 800% bigger than the recreational sector, why was their cut was only 100 T more than the cut imposed on the recreationals when they currently hold rights to approx. 63% of the TAC.

If they want to see the resource revive and see a proper even split of the TAC, simply police the catches better. Easy.

Police the hell out of the resource. Fine offenders and jail time for repeat offenders. Get offenders to do community service for lengthy periods. Beaches are always in need of a clean up.

We live in a country with a 101 different laws and regulations, but nobody to police them. Perhaps We keep stumbling over the paper work... those that can't read what's written on the paper, don't care about what's written on the paper...

thika

Sealiner
The trap boat catch is exported live to Japan

Only very few individuals benefit, and substantially so

(spin off is some job creation and income tax paid to the government)

It would be fair to take a very large chunk from this sector and give to the subsistence guys, because poaching and therefore stress on the resource would reduce

The income would be channeled to where it is needed most

BTTB

jb2 wrote:
ThefishinMagician wrote:

Hi Fishin

Ironically that is more or less what happened. They did allow people to sell with a post office permit and they allowed a huge number of people into the sector.

The TAC cut means that the overall pie is smaller. There is less kreef allowed to come out of the water.

Hi guys.

I did not know this bit of information!!!!

It throws a different light on the subject matter and could be part of the reason why the recreational quota was cut?

So what you guys are saying is that in the last few years there were subsistence fisherman that bought the 4 a man Crayfish permit for the sole purpose of making their catch legal and selling it, well at least portion of it, meaning the 4 per day limit was caught over and over until an official either checked it or the sun went down or 16h00 came.

This is quite shocking news to me, Paternoster styled Crayfish industry for the Western Cape on its way, courtesy of DAFF and their political masters.

It also answers a question I did not know and that was the entry permit for Crayfish to the Cape Point Nature Reserve, I assume the permit fee was increased and added on to your entry in an attempt to stop these subsistence fisherman using the Reserve as their resource to plunder. While that is great and stops poaching, it puts everybody into the same boat as any bona fide recreationals are now penalised financially, especially the guys that would normally launch at Buffels, also the families that would normally have gone to the Reserve over the holiday period and taken out a few Crayfish to add to their picnic basket.

So glad I don't eat Crayfish, just alarming at the rapid rate our resource we are all entitled to is being slowly taken away bit by bit.

I expect in a couple of years time for some news release from DAFF that will state that the inshore resource is on the brink of collapse due to some scientific proof bla bla bla and the recreational quota will forthwith be cut completely.

My 2 cents.

BTTB.

jb2

Sealiner
BTTB wrote:
jb2 wrote:
ThefishinMagician wrote:

Hi Fishin

Ironically that is more or less what happened. They did allow people to sell with a post office permit and they allowed a huge number of people into the sector.

Hi guys.

I did not know this bit of information!!!!

It throws a different light on the subject matter and could be part of the reason why the recreational quota was cut?

So what you guys are saying is that in the last few years there were subsistence fisherman that bought the 4 a man Crayfish permit for the sole purpose of making their catch legal and selling it, well at least portion of it, meaning the 4 per day limit was caught over and over until an official either checked it or the sun went down or 16h00 came.

This is quite shocking news to me, Paternoster styled Crayfish industry for the Western Cape on its way, courtesy of DAFF and their political masters.

It also answers a question I did not know and that was the entry permit for Crayfish to the Cape Point Nature Reserve, I assume the permit fee was increased and added on to your entry in an attempt to stop these subsistence fisherman using the Reserve as their resource to plunder. While that is great and stops poaching, it puts everybody into the same boat as any bona fide recreationals are now penalised financially, especially the guys that would normally launch at Buffels, also the families that would normally have gone to the Reserve over the holiday period and taken out a few Crayfish to add to their picnic basket.

So glad I don't eat Crayfish, just alarming at the rapid rate our resource we are all entitled to is being slowly taken away bit by bit.

I expect in a couple of years time for some news release from DAFF that will state that the inshore resource is on the brink of collapse due to some scientific proof bla bla bla and the recreational quota will forthwith be cut completely.

My 2 cents.

BTTB.

Hi BTTB

The "interim relief" crayfishing initially did not specify a landing ppint. So while others had to put every kreef crate over a scale, interim relief simply went out and only took 4 per day on a kind of "honour system".

It is totally surreal.