WINDON LEADER - SINGLE SPLICE

Enigma

After the long discussions in thread

I made up a sequence of pic's of how to make a windon for casting using a single dacron length. The motivation why and just how strong the single Dacron is vs your mainline is discussed at length in the post.

70cm 80lbs High Vis Cortland Dacron

Insert the latch hook 2.5cm below the end of the braid and thread though 2.5cm away from the short end
1.jpg
Exit the Short dacron
2.jpg

Hook the main length of Dacron and close the latch
3.jpg

Pull the main dacron through the 2.5cm and then slide the 2.5xm over the main length and pull tight, set the length of your loop by pulling the main length through the 2.5cm sheath
4.jpg
Make a Tanaka Splice by taking the tag end back and forward through the main length, minimum 3 times, recommended 5 times.
5.jpg
6.jpg

5.jpg
Now insert the latch hook 1cm below the length of the tag end, thread it up to the splice and pull the tag end inside and so that it is now hidden inside the main length

7.jpg

Your completed loop section

8.jpg

Split the leader line about 4-5cm from the end and make a long thin end that is easily bent double

9.jpg

Easily bent double

10.jpg

Insert a long latch hook all the way down the main dacron from the splice till is is exposed

11.jpg
Hook the thin doubled over end of the leader and pull it through the dacron and out just below the splice. I sand the leader lightly to help the grip of the dacron on the nylon of the leader.

12.jpg

The thin section is now trimmed off and the leader pulled back into the dacron.

13.jpg

14.jpg

The frayed end of the dacron is then trimmed to make for neat serving.

15.jpg
Very thin super glue is applied to the outside of the Dacron, it'll immediately seep through and adhere the dacron to the nylon (4-5cm from the end of the nylon)

16.jpg

17.jpg

Start the serve before the superglue dies and the serving braid is immediately in place (tip - wet the end of the serving braid and it sticks immediately to the dacron)

18.jpg

Locking system on the jig, allowing for hands free operation with the leader pulled very tight ensuring the leader is locked in place.

191.jpg
The serving tool is set so tight that the windon winds up at least 5 winds before the serving tool releases braid to the bind

19.jpg
12 seconds later and the full serving is done all the way to 1cm over the nylon

20.jpg
6 x half hitches
21.jpg
followed by a hitch with 6 turns inside
22.jpg
and pull up tight and trim of flush to the whippings

23.jpg

Coat with thin Super Glue and it will seep through the braid all the way to the underlying dacron and bind the whole lot together

24.jpg
Finish off with a low heat, heat shrink that will prevent the whippings from unraveling through constant use

25.jpg

26.jpg

Join to your mainline using a cats-paw loop to loop connection or the alternate catspaw of Reefman, es[pecially with 130 and 200lbs Dacron

This complete 1.5mm windon was made in less than 10 minutes (even with taking the photographs)

The braid used for serving was 80lbs jigging braid and was used purely to make the photography easier, I use a 20lbs dyneema to serve my fishing leaders.

Attachments

• 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 0
  • 19.jpg
    19.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 0

neilg

Sealiner
Good tutorial ... !

I make it about the same, but don't have your fancy tools Enigma, I use Piano doubled wire to thread the dacron through itself and work the mono in by hand. My only fancy tool is the fly tying bobbin to work it off at the end.

Personal choice
I don't do the glue or the heatshrink. Used to do it that way but stopped a long time ago.

The way you make it is BULLET PROOF !

AviL

Good post Enigma - very well presented tutorial.

Quick question:
Does the Superglue not become hard and brittle which can easily break?

Is the heat shrink not hard and how does it pass through the eyes? Does this not cause damage?

I use a bimini to tie my leader onto my mainline...

*Guys, if I get it wrong, please forgive me, I am a little new to all this...Thanks

Enigma

AviL wrote:
Good post Enigma - very well presented tutorial.

Quick question:
Does the Superglue not become hard and brittle which can easily break? never had an issue with this, before I used the shrink I sometimes had that from continuous use, 100 or more casts the a half hitch or 2 would come undone and all I would do is drip another drop of SG on and sorted

Is the heat shrink not hard and how does it pass through the eyes? Does this not cause damage? The shrink tube I use is super soft and pliable and with it on you don't even hear the knot going through the guides. Main use of the shrink is to smooth the knot and at the same time protect the knot

I use a bimini to tie my leader onto my mainline... thats fine for leaders under 1.2mm. From 1.2 and up it gets cumbersome and after 1.5mm you are guaranteed to knock out a guide ring every 2nd or 3rd cast, we also use a bimini and then connect the loop of the windon to the loop of the bimini with a loop to loop (7 times through) this is what is known as a Cats-paw (check under the knots at the illustrations of Reefman)

*Guys, if I get it wrong, please forgive me, I am a little new to all this...Thanks that's what we're all here for to share and learn from each other,.............THE ONLY DUMB QUESTION IS THE ONE NOT ASKED..............

tkei

Sealiner
Enigma, where do you get that heat shrink? I can only get the black one here in el and heat it with hair dryer, but the walls are quite thick so not too smooth through the guides.

Trophy

Sealiner
Hiya Enigma,

Excellent post!

I thought I liked the Bling Bling...you take the CAKE!!

I'm sure nobody can go wrong with making the single splice wind-on going forward.

Now all they have to do is collect all the tools and toys you use! LoL

Enigma

Trophy wrote:
Hiya Enigma,

Excellent post!

I'm sure nobody can go wrong with making the single splice wind-on going forward.

Those of you who know Carp fishing will recognise all those goodies as Boilie fishing tools so not to cost an arm and a leg.

What I didn't show is I simply use a darning needle to make the tanaka splice.

If you cannot get latch hooks at your fishing store then you can find them online at www.rratlapiangling.co.za (mr Fish) and speak to Jan he'll sort you out quick, quick)

Or have a look at your local haberdashery (Naaldwerk winkel)

Instead of the serving tool you can use a fly tying bobbin to hold the thread.

steve m

Sealiner
Enigma wrote:
Trophy wrote:
Hiya Enigma,

Excellent post!

Those of you who know Carp fishing will recognise all those goodies as Boilie fishing tools so not to cost an arm and a leg.

What I didn't show is I simply use a darning needle to make the tanaka splice.

If you cannot get latch hooks at your fishing store then you can find them online at http://www.rratlapiangling.co.za (mr Fish) and speak to Jan he'll sort you out quick, quick)

Or have a look at your local haberdashery (Naaldwerk winkel)

Instead of the serving tool you can use a fly tying bobbin to hold the thread.
I also have one of those boilie tool things they help a lot! mine cost me all of like 15 rand..

Enigma

Upgraded the process.

4 stitch Tanaka splice forming a small loop. Small loop for a casting windon minimizing the chances of the dacron wrapping on a guide

Tanaka splice done and tag end of 3cm into the dacron.

The Daho needle ID 1.35mm

Attachments

• needle.jpg
    needle.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 2,565

Enigma

Needle threaded through the Dacron and easily through the middle of the tag (inside) and out close to the Tanaka splice

Attachments

• Threaded through the middle and into the Tag end.jpg
    Threaded through the middle and into the Tag end.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 2,550

Enigma

Here is the finished product in terms of the loop. Double dacron over the nylon leader, followed by a very short double dacron into the Tanaka splice.

The shorter distance means no chance for the dacron to wrap around a guide.

Attachments

• Tanaka Splice, Double Dacron, Nylon in Double.jpg
    Tanaka Splice, Double Dacron, Nylon in Double.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 2,558