Long distance casting The pedulum cast versus the so-called South African cast technique

Whisky

Saltywind, me too, I would LOVE to see this cast on Margate pier when the shad is running thick!:shock::X:uzi

jonnovet

I realise that this is an old post that has been resurected again. The contention that South African rods are too stiff for pendulum casting and that the weight ratings of your rods is inacurate is not entirely true. We highly recommend the Poseidon P5 as a startup rod for people wishing to learn distance casting here in Australia. Despite being rated from 5-7oz, we have casters pendulum casting 8oz on these rods. Next step up is the Franklin and Loomis Sharkey (non HMG), which is rated 7-9 oz but we will easily cast 10oz for sliding. The idea behind the pendulum cast is to get the lead outside the tip and load into the butt of the rod, thereby accessing the massive power of the rods you guys have and not to cast off the tip which results in breakage. Too many casters apply the power too soon and with the lead inside the tip, lose distance and snap their rods.

Using a Poseidon P5 and a Penn Squall 15, 0.35mm line and 0.75mm shockleader, a young lad who has only been casting for a year achieved 199.8m at a recent competition casting 175g. he normally casts further with the 200g lead. Using the Franklin and Loomis Sharkey, a standard Daiwa Sl 50SH with heavy oil in the bearing and two brake blocks, 0.50 mono and a 1mm shockleader, we are achieving distances of 150-170m on the 8 and 9 oz leads. These rods are fantastic for casting the heavier leads and do not have the bite of some of the British rods.

The difference is in the technique and waiting for the lead to get outside the tip. It is possible to bully 3-5oz leads, but after that timing and technique are critical. Using the principles whether casting off the ground, pendulum, x-cast, Haterras or an overhead thump will add hugely to your distance and half your effort. We have been coaching a gentleman in his late 70's who is very frail and has a frozen shoulder so rotation and power are limited - yet he has doubled his casting distance to 120m with much less effort than before on 4-6oz leads. Our aim is to get him to 170m which will happen when his timing improves.

Bottom line - we love your rods here in Australia and you don't need special reels and mags to cast 150+m. Just watch the videos of topflight casters and know what you are looking for. Look at the position of the lead before the caster begins his rotation and where his hands are before he applies the power.

Enigma

jonnovet wrote:
The contention that South African rods are too stiff for pendulum casting and that the weight ratings of your rods is inaccurate is not entirely true.

THANK YOU SO MUCH....... HAVE ABSOLUTELY NO IDEA WHO STARTED THIS RUMOR

Neels Mosterd won the WA Casting on aggregate total last year and his top casts were over 200m using the Exage 1468 fitted with a Akios Rocket.

Ratings are inaccurate when measured against typical International Ratings.

For example the 7ounce P3 by Blue Marling is rated for 7oz but comfortably casts a 7oz and a Yellowtail (NZ Kingfish) head.

Enigma wrote:
jonnovet wrote:
The contention that South African rods are too stiff for pendulum casting and that the weight ratings of your rods is inaccurate is not entirely true.

Neels Mosterd won the WA Casting on aggregate total last year and his top casts were over 200m using the Exage 1468 fitted with a Akios Rocket.

For example the 7ounce P3 by Blue Marling is rated for 7oz but comfortably casts a 7oz and a Yellowtail (NZ Kingfish) head.
howzit craig

got few question's for the SA casting experts

i got few months ago a BM G3 14-4-6 special edition 3 pc

that i use for light fishing for small eds ,casting 4-5 oz

on the L-tip , and 6 oz slide sinker on the M-tip

for the light set i use daiwa sl30sh with 0.45 mono

for the medium set i use penn sqwall 40 with 0.50 mono

usually i cast a slow flat arc pendulum type of cast

-so how safe is it to use this style on the BM rod becase

it is a 3 pc and not the classic 2 pc UK style rod ?

- can i go for full on pendulum cast on the M-tip with a 6 oz

slide sinker as i did with my AFAW SIX@BAIT 14FT (2-PC )?

THNKS ALLOT EYAL - ISRAEL

Pylstert

Sealiner
Enigma wrote:
jonnovet wrote:

What about something like an Assassin Heavy HMG though? Will that work well with a pendulum cast or the Absolute Shark or Shark Extreme Heavy?

Enigma

Yip monster cast and a simple cast at that, that can be done of the beach.

Pre-requisites:

Good rod, in that case the Zipplex or even a Century WR300. Preferrably a 2 piece with Parallel Base and fast taper tip but a 3 piece with Paralle Base, very slow taper mid and Fast taper tip.

Well tuned and Mag controlled reelMono Mag control preferred for this casting

Thin line (0.31-0.35mm)

Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice,

tintin2

Enigma's got it 100% with that last line.....

It has taken me about 3 years to get a pendulum cast that I can do day or night from rocks or beach. 2 -3 times a week for a couple of hours. Have a camera set up to tell you what you are doing and compare to videos of the masters. I was a competent caster of about 30 years experience before I started the pendulum practicing. Now I do nothing else, grinder or overhead. And I can still spin all day with a heavy multiplier because I am letting the rod do most of the work.

Starting point was Neil M's video because it is one of only a few styles can be done with the bait etc high off the ground.

With technique nailed down you will cast heavy and cast long without having to be strong like an ox.

Def-e-nition

Sealiner
Enigma wrote:
Why on earth such big tackle my clients from Europe ask me at Gamtoos. They try their 0.30mm on a SL20..... cant get a sinker to sit in that wash......

Eventually gets a sinker to sit, after his cast and wade he has maybe 50m of line left on his reel, picks up a 15kg Hound and is stripped to the drum in no time and ends up wading neck deep on more than one occasion and eventually lands his fish.

What would have happened if it was a 30kg kob or 15kg Steenie....... stripped and empty.

just Thinking about this old post , Makes me Chuckle .

a Lot ....

Trying to picture that guys Face . priceless.

LOL.. There are probably a few that have mastered it, I think I have seen it used once on the beach..But in SA we are not fishing on a shallow sloping english channel beach for little breams and seabass, and we have large species that will come right into the surf zone at your feet, or reefy areas where casting far is not advantageous, or one is fishing the far banks with a long thin bait for cob or steenbras where I see a pendulum cast having its value..?

Then again fishing is going lazier and more skill-less with drones and grinders, so the finer aspects of casting are being lost on the newer generation of bait lobbers.

Tackle-holic

Sealiner
The fishing pendulum is a very useful cast on the beach. Easy distance.

Fixed spool with braid or multiplier filled with braid or mono.

Only a lunatic would use it in a crowd.

A useful small multi is Penn's Fathom II 15 DCS.
Takes enough line and is a very good casting reel.

Tackle-holic wrote:
willem wikkel spies wrote
nope, off the ground is good enough.

If you like OTG casting, you will enjoy Gemini Splash down bait clips.
it looks like it can work, but hook is quite deep into the bend.
i like sliding for live bait eating critters "no sharks".
so casting sinker only is easy.
everyone has the hype that long distance casting is needed.

well, most are wrong!
fish feed quite close to shore as the water will loosen the food, and all of the small critters are in shallow water.

but we think, that the deeper we can cast, the bigger the fish will be.

thats human nature.

Tackle-holic

Sealiner
Its not they look like they can work. They do work.

1. Slack line that would unclip a normal set up  is a non-issue, the hook stays clipped until your rig hits the water, hence why it is so good for OTG...

2. Your hook snood does not take the weight of the cast, in fact you could use a hook snood waaaay longer than the sinker snood.

3. Useful for wading anglers in that you cannot accidentally unclip your sinker/hook combination. They unclip when the little disc hits the water pushing it upwards.

Are they for very situation?
No of course not.

Just sharing a device with you that is specifically made for OTG casting as you said you like OTG casting.

Granted if you are throwing a sinker only and then sliding, it would be of no use to you.