Chelmsford Dam

Mags1010

Hi ,

Planning a trip Chelmsford dam at the end of February , any advise on this dam .

It will be my first trip there .. so not sure if it’s a specimen dam or just a pap gooi dam.

If only papgooi , what concentrates and baits should I focus on .

Says there bass in the dam , cannot find any pics of bass caught on the internet at this dam .

Any advise and tips will be highly welcome .

Regards

navrik

I grew up in Newcastle and fished it a lot as laaitie back in the 80sUsed to catch carp, barbel and scalies (Natal Yellowfish).
We used simple methods like brown bread and mealie pips.

I have seen some recent photos of bass but the dam is not very well known for bass. Mostly around the spawn time I believe.

papaTjaart

Hi I Know it is a year or two later just found the website and wanted to know from you how it was in the end?

I still live in Newcastle and that happens to be my go-to place it has a few monster babel and some fat carps however i heard of people catching Bass there but never seen one with my own eyes.
I was there over the easter weekend and our weather did mess up our fishing there was almost no bytes to the extent that I showed the laaities how to catch kurpers in the shallows because they where bored. we took one and used it as live bait and caught a 5.7KG babel with it.

as for the carp only Garlic helped, my combo of sweetcorn dip, bunspice on one hook and vampire strong garlic was the only combo that actually got carp out the water there was lots of small babel and eals on the worms, other than that is was quite a bad weekend for fishing.

we usually go to the dam armed with lots of corn plain mielie bomb and custard or banana-flavoured floaties and it is busy however I have not been to the dam in a few years until recently and I had to learn the dam all over again it seams.