Braid to Braid Connection

Enigma

But then again sh..... Happens and if you find yourself having to cut out a frayed piece of Braid 200m into the spool you will at least have a join that you will have confidence in.

kitefisher

Sealiner
Enigma wrote:
But then again sh..... Happens and if you find yourself having to cut out a frayed piece of Braid 200m into the spool you will at least have a join that you will have confidence in.

Very true Craig,especially on a day when tackleshops are traditionally closed etc. Will shortly try and make that connection that Trevour uses.

trevour

This is what my connection looks like (30lbs connected to 50lbs)

Attachments

• 2016-02-23 22.16.31.jpg
    2016-02-23 22.16.31.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 147

kitefisher

Sealiner
Trevour, I cheated a bit regarding the use of the sinker,however it was only for the experiment.Jigging Master bobbin is tension adjustable.

Attachments

• DSC_0288.JPGedit.jpg
    DSC_0288.JPGedit.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 136

kitefisher

Sealiner
I think the loop was a wee bit too big after I made the 3turn Uni-knot.Fortunately I left a generous margin on the double which is 20lbs Sufix Performance Braid.Thicker braid used was Saltiga Boat Braid in 55lbs.

Very very impressed even with slightly less than 50x2 turns,probably closer to 40x2 .

Happy with the nett result though.No scientific way to test other than pulling with gloved hands.Very strong ,but that is relative, as I don't know the actual breaking strain of the 20lbs Sufix Performance.

End result after tags snipped
ps.All wraps in one direction.

Attachments

• DSC_0293.JPGedit.jpg
    DSC_0293.JPGedit.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 136

trevour

Thanks kitefisher. The loop length is not important, 50mm allows me to put a finger through the loop, which in turn helps apply tension during the process.

Bobbin is perfect, the knot is after all a modified pr knot. The nice thing about a sinker is that there is always one available, even on the rocks. It works for braid to mono as well, and even then after 70/100 turns I go between the lines. You will notice that this becomes almost a transition point. Especially thinner leaders, you will see the leader starts turning over the braid, and the braid remains more or less straight.

This method can be used to make loops as well. You also don't have to use one length of braid. You can for eg use 30 lbs braid to do the wraps around 50 lbs braid. Instead of the uni ending with a loop you just tie back to back unis. Just do the turns in the opposite direction to the turns in the unis. You can even use it as a crimp. 10 oz sinker, 1mm line works for 400lbs cable. Obviously not made of steel so a crimp as backup.

kitefisher

Sealiner
Shotto Trevour,I ''accidentaly" found out that with the slightly longer loop,I could wrap that end of the connection similar to when doing a PR,in other words around my right hand's pinky and ring-fingers,so that worked out quite well and felt familiar.

Whilst I mostly spin and invariably carry a spare spool (and my bobbin) in my bag,this will definately be my Go-To knot for joining braids of different and of similar diameters.

Given the klap that we will shortly be getting due to exchange rates this is good to know and should be invaluable for Grinder Baitfishing,especially in a scenario like Craig explained where he had chafed braid 200 meters down the spool.

Much better having a strong connection that you can trust for the rest of the outing, than to hope a fish wont take you to that damaged line level.

_seal1_