SEALINE - South African Angling and Boating Community Home 
Home Recent Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register


 Moderated by: Enigma, Emperor
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Strand - Melk Baai  Rate Topic 
 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Mon Apr 12th, 2021 08:20 am
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Fly-aholic
Member
 

Joined: Tue Dec 13th, 2011
Location: Cape Town, South Africa
Posts: 374
Equipment: Explorer reel, Stealth Magnum+ rod and scientific anglers fly line
Best Catch: Skipjack, 900mm
Favorite Fishing Spot: Swartkops river
Boat: NA
Club: No
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
As it normally starts prior to organising a fishing day, a discussion with the wife was necessary. After I have done home work regarding conditions and have consulted the 'brains' trust', Betties Bay was the target. At least some spotted gullies around and the East is also to blow.

Spanner in the work come from mommy:X Betties is too far to drive in 2 cars as the children become bored quickly.
Well, decided on Strand and more specific Melk Baai.

Have had some good results just to the right of the rocks and in front of the reef.
Arrive at 9h30 (low dark moon spring tide). Another gentlemen caught a cobbie (5-6kg's) just prior to me arriving just beach side of the reef.
Fantastic, I thought -the water is low, easy to reach the reef and it has a browning tint. I look to Skattie and said: Keep the children busy, today I am at the right spot at the right time.
As the tide pushes the waves are breaking nicely on the reef with very good working water. There are mullet abound in the surf, which further increases my optimism.

Fresh squid dingle and perfect cast, 5 meters to the right of the rocks and about 2 meters in front where white water starts rolling - result NOTHING, not a nibble.
Second cast slightly shorter, 15 meters to the right of the rocks - not a touch.
Pink prawn, mussel, chokka blob bait, combinations baits, chokka and mackerel, all not even touched.

As I was fishing and considering the brown tint of the water a local came walking by and said they had a red tide, I dismissed this a not relevant as a nice cob was caught and the shore break had thousands of mullet.

The question: What went wrong; as the water temperature was about 18-19 degrees, water had colour, I could reach all the areas that should hold fish.

Your input of possible reasons for a dismal failure would be appreciated.

kind regards,
Pierre

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Mon Apr 12th, 2021 09:08 am
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
fathom87
Member


Joined: Mon Apr 22nd, 2013
Location: Parow, South Africa
Posts: 244
Equipment: Daiwa....akios.....abu....penn
Best Catch: Amberjack yellow tail from Blakes Strand on squid
Favorite Fishing Spot: False Bay
Boat: not yet
Club: no
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
Close to Sharkies..good spot if you a reef hopper. Melkbaai from beach seldom produce more than one sizer except elf and on belman run.just my 2c worth.hook into cobbie last night... fence side ... trying for belman or steenbras... released.. baby

Attachment: IMG-20210411-WA0019.jpeg (Downloaded 274 times)

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Mon Apr 12th, 2021 09:11 am
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
fathom87
Member


Joined: Mon Apr 22nd, 2013
Location: Parow, South Africa
Posts: 244
Equipment: Daiwa....akios.....abu....penn
Best Catch: Amberjack yellow tail from Blakes Strand on squid
Favorite Fishing Spot: False Bay
Boat: not yet
Club: no
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
Example of my all purpose trace:fbash

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Mon Apr 12th, 2021 10:29 am
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Fly-aholic
Member
 

Joined: Tue Dec 13th, 2011
Location: Cape Town, South Africa
Posts: 374
Equipment: Explorer reel, Stealth Magnum+ rod and scientific anglers fly line
Best Catch: Skipjack, 900mm
Favorite Fishing Spot: Swartkops river
Boat: NA
Club: No
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
fathom87 wrote:
Example of my all purpose trace:fbash

Looks like it works, that is all that counts.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Mon Apr 12th, 2021 11:25 am
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Fly-aholic
Member
 

Joined: Tue Dec 13th, 2011
Location: Cape Town, South Africa
Posts: 374
Equipment: Explorer reel, Stealth Magnum+ rod and scientific anglers fly line
Best Catch: Skipjack, 900mm
Favorite Fishing Spot: Swartkops river
Boat: NA
Club: No
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
I have spoken to the who's who in the zoo' and it seems that the brown tinted water was in actual fact a 'red tide'.
Being from the Eastern Cape, our red tides are red and not a Coca Cola brown tint.
Well that explains not having any bites.

Let's see what happens this weekend with Neap Tide.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Mon Apr 12th, 2021 12:42 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
fathom87
Member


Joined: Mon Apr 22nd, 2013
Location: Parow, South Africa
Posts: 244
Equipment: Daiwa....akios.....abu....penn
Best Catch: Amberjack yellow tail from Blakes Strand on squid
Favorite Fishing Spot: False Bay
Boat: not yet
Club: no
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
Explained why I hooked into warm water game fish from side

Attachment: IMG-20210404-WA0091.jpeg (Downloaded 244 times)

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Mon Apr 12th, 2021 12:46 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
fathom87
Member


Joined: Mon Apr 22nd, 2013
Location: Parow, South Africa
Posts: 244
Equipment: Daiwa....akios.....abu....penn
Best Catch: Amberjack yellow tail from Blakes Strand on squid
Favorite Fishing Spot: False Bay
Boat: not yet
Club: no
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
Fast and strong fish

Attachment: IMG-20210404-WA0095.jpeg (Downloaded 244 times)

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Mon Apr 12th, 2021 12:47 pm
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
Fly-aholic
Member
 

Joined: Tue Dec 13th, 2011
Location: Cape Town, South Africa
Posts: 374
Equipment: Explorer reel, Stealth Magnum+ rod and scientific anglers fly line
Best Catch: Skipjack, 900mm
Favorite Fishing Spot: Swartkops river
Boat: NA
Club: No
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
fathom87 wrote:
Explained why I hooked into warm water game fish from side

Hi phatom87.

The red tide was in the Strand/GB area. I hear that Strandfontein/Broken Road and further to Muizenberg was clean.
When did you catch that bad boy. That looks like a Big Eye kingie.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Mon Apr 12th, 2021 12:48 pm
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
Fly-aholic
Member
 

Joined: Tue Dec 13th, 2011
Location: Cape Town, South Africa
Posts: 374
Equipment: Explorer reel, Stealth Magnum+ rod and scientific anglers fly line
Best Catch: Skipjack, 900mm
Favorite Fishing Spot: Swartkops river
Boat: NA
Club: No
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
Fly-aholic wrote:
fathom87 wrote:
Explained why I hooked into warm water game fish from side

Hi phatom87.

The red tide was in the Strand/GB area. I hear that Strandfontein/Broken Road and further to Muizenberg was clean.
When did you catch that bad boy. That looks like a Big Eye kingie.


No, it's not a Big Eye, see better on 2nd picture. Is that a tropical yellow tail?

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Mon Apr 12th, 2021 12:54 pm
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
fathom87
Member


Joined: Mon Apr 22nd, 2013
Location: Parow, South Africa
Posts: 244
Equipment: Daiwa....akios.....abu....penn
Best Catch: Amberjack yellow tail from Blakes Strand on squid
Favorite Fishing Spot: False Bay
Boat: not yet
Club: no
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
Apparently amberjack yellow tail..
Fishing buddies kids in on foto shoot.. smile says it all

Attachment: IMG-20210406-WA0011.jpg (Downloaded 241 times)

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Mon Apr 12th, 2021 12:59 pm
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
fathom87
Member


Joined: Mon Apr 22nd, 2013
Location: Parow, South Africa
Posts: 244
Equipment: Daiwa....akios.....abu....penn
Best Catch: Amberjack yellow tail from Blakes Strand on squid
Favorite Fishing Spot: False Bay
Boat: not yet
Club: no
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
Again caught on my all purpose trace:fbash
Firm white meat... didn't taste... went to father in law

Attachment: IMG-20210408-WA0016.jpg (Downloaded 237 times)

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Wed Apr 14th, 2021 05:08 am
  PM Quote Reply
12th Post
flippy
Sealiner


Joined: Sat Aug 2nd, 2008
Location: Uʍoʇ ǝdɐɔ, South Africa
Posts: 8768
Equipment: ⓝⓞⓣ ⓔⓝⓞⓤⓖⓗ
Best Catch: <º)))))><
Favorite Fishing Spot: false bay to agulhas and beyond!
Boat: ><((((º>
Club: <º)))))><
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
Last Wednesaday looking forward to fishing the weekend and Monday all along the coast. Thursday morning wake up with a sore throat and i know its the beginning of the flu for me. Starts sore throat making me want to rip out my own throat out lol as i hate sore throat then moves to snotty nose etc lasting almost a week usually for me. Wow bad timing. Decide to not fish as that will bring out the worst in the better half.

Monday and still sick but with the worst behind me i decide to fish Blakes with beach chair and just flip baits out at least at the beach and fishing. Take the Sir Lowry pass turnoff for G/Bay and on mountain pass when driving past G/Bay i notice funny looking water. Think nothing of it yet and proceed further down the road to get bait. Water there not like at G/Bay and warm. Get bait and head back to Strand and park opposite the Ocean Basket where buddy looks for livebait.

He does not see any life between the reefs because of water colour. No klipvis even. Move to the slip and its just as bad but kids are swimming in that water. Stop at tackle shop and they inform us its red tide thats been there for a week with nothing coming out in that water. Tell us to check the fence side.

Drive past Melkbaai and red tide not there. Wow maybe one spot to try. Stop close to the fence and no red tide. Maybe another spot. As i was set on fishing Blakes i had only my track pants and fishing Melkbaai or the fence area not for me as im still sick. When the tide starts pushing in those areas it pushes you far back out of casting range and with no wetsuit plus boots etc something im not prepared to do especially as im still sick.

Cant believe there was no notice anywhere of this red tide that would of saved me all this effort. Or maybe i missed it?

Head back home and decide on Monwabisi area though im more set on Broken Road. get at Monwas and anglers are utilising the best real estate Monwas has to offer. Millions of kids there also swimming in the surf no thanks.

Get to Broken road and lots of anglers. Good a nice presence of anglers. Park on side of road and fish from bakkie. Pull tack pants up and can walk bit in and cast it suits me for what i had lol.First cast and nothing. By third cast something nice picks up bait but hookset not great and i loose fish. Change hook brands but same size. Buddy decides to look for live bait to cast or slide out. Water is fantastic but left to right heavy side wash meant grab sinker a necessity. Tons of bamboo in the water making a long rod spike essential.

Cast out and something small picks up bait. Turns out to be a sandy. By now guys to left of me had already landed a slot steenbras. Some other guys to the left of me also landing steen bras thats just about size as well as smaller steenbras plus a few stumpnose. A large St Joseph also landed with a few more steenbras etc.

No kob were seen landed. Buddy could not get any livebait and i persisted with baits i had but nothing worth talking about.

Think you should be there now really but weekend might still be good as well who knows if conditions are favourable like wind.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Wed Apr 14th, 2021 05:10 am
  PM Quote Reply
13th Post
flippy
Sealiner


Joined: Sat Aug 2nd, 2008
Location: Uʍoʇ ǝdɐɔ, South Africa
Posts: 8768
Equipment: ⓝⓞⓣ ⓔⓝⓞⓤⓖⓗ
Best Catch: <º)))))><
Favorite Fishing Spot: false bay to agulhas and beyond!
Boat: ><((((º>
Club: <º)))))><
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
thats a excellent catch for the area fathom87 (ni(ce(fish)(

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Wed Apr 14th, 2021 05:49 am
  PM Quote Reply
14th Post
Fly-aholic
Member
 

Joined: Tue Dec 13th, 2011
Location: Cape Town, South Africa
Posts: 374
Equipment: Explorer reel, Stealth Magnum+ rod and scientific anglers fly line
Best Catch: Skipjack, 900mm
Favorite Fishing Spot: Swartkops river
Boat: NA
Club: No
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
flippy wrote:
Last Wednesaday looking forward to fishing the weekend and Monday all along the coast. Thursday morning wake up with a sore throat and i know its the beginning of the flu for me. Starts sore throat making me want to rip out my own throat out lol as i hate sore throat then moves to snotty nose etc lasting almost a week usually for me. Wow bad timing. Decide to not fish as that will bring out the worst in the better half.

Monday and still sick but with the worst behind me i decide to fish Blakes with beach chair and just flip baits out at least at the beach and fishing. Take the Sir Lowry pass turnoff for G/Bay and on mountain pass when driving past G/Bay i notice funny looking water. Think nothing of it yet and proceed further down the road to get bait. Water there not like at G/Bay and warm. Get bait and head back to Strand and park opposite the Ocean Basket where buddy looks for livebait.

He does not see any life between the reefs because of water colour. No klipvis even. Move to the slip and its just as bad but kids are swimming in that water. Stop at tackle shop and they inform us its red tide thats been there for a week with nothing coming out in that water. Tell us to check the fence side.

Drive past Melkbaai and red tide not there. Wow maybe one spot to try. Stop close to the fence and no red tide. Maybe another spot. As i was set on fishing Blakes i had only my track pants and fishing Melkbaai or the fence area not for me as im still sick. When the tide starts pushing in those areas it pushes you far back out of casting range and with no wetsuit plus boots etc something im not prepared to do especially as im still sick.

Cant believe there was no notice anywhere of this red tide that would of saved me all this effort. Or maybe i missed it?

Head back home and decide on Monwabisi area though im more set on Broken Road. get at Monwas and anglers are utilising the best real estate Monwas has to offer. Millions of kids there also swimming in the surf no thanks.

Get to Broken road and lots of anglers. Good a nice presence of anglers. Park on side of road and fish from bakkie. Pull tack pants up and can walk bit in and cast it suits me for what i had lol.First cast and nothing. By third cast something nice picks up bait but hookset not great and i loose fish. Change hook brands but same size. Buddy decides to look for live bait to cast or slide out. Water is fantastic but left to right heavy side wash meant grab sinker a necessity. Tons of bamboo in the water making a long rod spike essential.

Cast out and something small picks up bait. Turns out to be a sandy. By now guys to left of me had already landed a slot steenbras. Some other guys to the left of me also landing steen bras thats just about size as well as smaller steenbras plus a few stumpnose. A large St Joseph also landed with a few more steenbras etc.

No kob were seen landed. Buddy could not get any livebait and i persisted with baits i had but nothing worth talking about.

Think you should be there now really but weekend might still be good as well who knows if conditions are favourable like wind.


Flippy, I agree. Zero notices anywhere and children were playing in the surf. I even saw guys taking fish home, a nice 5-6kg cobbie. I do not think you missed any notice as I m not aware of any news flash or notice on Sealine.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Wed Apr 14th, 2021 12:42 pm
  PM Quote Reply
15th Post
fathom87
Member


Joined: Mon Apr 22nd, 2013
Location: Parow, South Africa
Posts: 244
Equipment: Daiwa....akios.....abu....penn
Best Catch: Amberjack yellow tail from Blakes Strand on squid
Favorite Fishing Spot: False Bay
Boat: not yet
Club: no
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
Fish dying at Harbour Island

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Wed Apr 14th, 2021 12:43 pm
  PM Quote Reply
16th Post
fathom87
Member


Joined: Mon Apr 22nd, 2013
Location: Parow, South Africa
Posts: 244
Equipment: Daiwa....akios.....abu....penn
Best Catch: Amberjack yellow tail from Blakes Strand on squid
Favorite Fishing Spot: False Bay
Boat: not yet
Club: no
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
Fish dying at Harbour Island

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Wed Apr 14th, 2021 01:26 pm
  PM Quote Reply
17th Post
fathom87
Member


Joined: Mon Apr 22nd, 2013
Location: Parow, South Africa
Posts: 244
Equipment: Daiwa....akios.....abu....penn
Best Catch: Amberjack yellow tail from Blakes Strand on squid
Favorite Fishing Spot: False Bay
Boat: not yet
Club: no
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
Sorry for double post
Pic of fish

Attachment: IMG-20210414-WA0018.jpg (Downloaded 121 times)

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Thu Apr 15th, 2021 07:08 am
  PM Quote Reply
18th Post
fathom87
Member


Joined: Mon Apr 22nd, 2013
Location: Parow, South Africa
Posts: 244
Equipment: Daiwa....akios.....abu....penn
Best Catch: Amberjack yellow tail from Blakes Strand on squid
Favorite Fishing Spot: False Bay
Boat: not yet
Club: no
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
Dead fish washed out GB.... something seriously wrong

Attachment: IMG-20210415-WA0000.jpg (Downloaded 98 times)

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Thu Apr 15th, 2021 07:48 am
  PM Quote Reply
19th Post
Fly-aholic
Member
 

Joined: Tue Dec 13th, 2011
Location: Cape Town, South Africa
Posts: 374
Equipment: Explorer reel, Stealth Magnum+ rod and scientific anglers fly line
Best Catch: Skipjack, 900mm
Favorite Fishing Spot: Swartkops river
Boat: NA
Club: No
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
fathom87 wrote:
Dead fish washed out GB.... something seriously wrong

Very sad fathom87. It seems the red tide is there good and proper.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  


Current time is 09:14 am  
SEALINE - South African Angling and Boating Community > General Angling Topics > Saltwater Fishing > Strand - Melk Baai Top